For The Meatballs:
- 1 cup day old sourdough bread cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 8 ounces ground chuck
- 8 ounces lean ground pork
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage(about 2) removed from casings and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigian0-Reggiano cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For The Sauce:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 28 ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes with juice, pureed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt(more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ pounds spaghetti
To make meatballs:
Place the bread and milk in a medium bowl and let soak for 5 minutes. Heat a 7-8 qt Dutch oven over medium heat, when hot, add the olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft and golden, 5-7 minutes.
Remove the pot from heat and set aside. Place the veal, pork, beef and sausage in a large bowl and using your hands mix well. Add oregano, cheese, eggs, parsley and bread one at a time, mixing until thoroughly combined.
Add the onion and mix until very well combined. Add salt and pepper and set aside.
To make sauce:
Heat a 10 qt casserole over medium heat and when hot add the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until wilted. Add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the tomato sauce is cooking, form the meatballs; take a piece of meat the size of a golf ball and roll it between the palms into ball. Add it to the sauce and repeat with the remaining meatballs. Simmer gently until meatballs are cooked through, about 1 ½ hours.
Be sure to cook the meatballs at a very gentle simmer, if the sauce boils, the fat will separate from the meat and they will dry out. When done, remove one from the pot and cut with a knife. If it is pink in the middle continue to cook until done, about 15-20 minutes.
Just prior to serving, fill a 10qt stockpot with 7qts of water and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and spaghetti, cook until al dente. Drain, add to the pot with meatballs, carefully toss to coat. Serve immediately.